You are here
- Annual Performance Evaluation Report (APER) (Word file)
- Faculty Evaluation of Department Head Annual Performance (Word file)
GUIDELINES FOR FACULTY
- Submit a completed APER to the Department Head by February 15, 2015. As outlined in Section 202.000-202.400 of the UEA Agreement, attach tabulated survey results from course evaluations. You do not need to provide any other documentation of the contents of the APER. The APER and your Department Head's recommendation and verification will be placed in your Academic Record File. Details about each section of the APER are outlined below.
- Submit your Faculty Evaluation of Department Head directly to the Dean by March 15, 2015. The results of this form will be used by the Dean and the Department Head to formulate goals for enhanced Department Head performance.
Determination of Merit Percentages
A final rating for merit distribution is calculated using approved distribution of effort percentages:
- Tenure track and tenured faculty members are evaluated using 60% for teaching, 30% for research, and 10% for service.
- Non-regular (contract) faculty are evaluated using 90% for teaching and 10% for service.
You may only indicate an exception on this part of the APER if a signed Request for Change of Merit Percentage form is on file for the current evaluation year. See section 250.400 of the current contract.
If you plan to request a change of merit percentage for the next evaluation year, the Request of Change of Merit Percentage (Word file) must be on file by March 15, 2015. Changing the merit percentages is for determination of merit purposes for the evaluation year due to some activity that year such as grant administration and does not represent a change in workload assignment.
Teaching, Research and Professional Productivity, Service/Outreach Sections
Summary Statement and Self-Evaluation
Provide a summary statement of the highlights and accomplishments of your overall performance. For each performance category, you may choose to list new endeavors, innovative instructional development, or use of technology in teaching, research or service. Provide a self-rating using the following scale. A faculty member who is doing well and is meeting expectations should receive a 3. The ratings will generally be in whole numbers (4,3,2,1) but mid ratings (i.e. 3.5, 2.5 ) may be used. Ratings above 3 signify accomplishments above expectations and 4 signifies extraordinary accomplishment.
Promotion and Tenure and the APER
Tenure-track faculty, or tenured associate professors who plan to seek professor rank, should maintain extensive documentation of the data collected on the APER each year it is submitted. Effective organization and presentation of yearly APER data is critical to the promotion and tenure process.
GUIDELINES FOR DEPARTMENT HEADS
Department Head Responsibilities
- Complete a Recommendation and Verification form for each faculty member.
- Submit the completed APERs, and the Recommendation and Verification forms for each faculty member in one packet to the Dean's Office by March 15, 2015.
- Complete a Departmental Rating Summary form (Excel file) using individual faculty performance data and submit to the Dean´s office by March 15, 2015.
Before letters of offer for continuing contract faculty members are issued, the department head must meet with the Dean to discuss the following issues regarding renewals.
- performance data in teaching and service
- discipline fit for department curriculum
- workload needs
- capacity for fulfilling those needs
- key faculty support (this can be a Leadership Council, Executive Council, or some Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty group.
Submit the following documents to your department head on the first day of spring semester. All of these documents will be placed in your file in the Dean's Office. (Sections 201.600-201.620 and 955.000-955.800 of the Contract). Please separate each section with colored paper. Notebooks, binders, dividers, extra APER forms, and title pages are not accepted. The annual letter with instructions from the EVCAA should be followed.
Materials should be submitted in the following order:
- Annual Performance Evaluation Report: APER (Word file) This must be signed and dated by the faculty member before it is brought to the Dean's Office. APER's are submitted for probationary faculty appraisal and another is submitted for merit.
- Probationary Faculty Appraisal Report (Word file) This report should be clear, concise, and relevant (less than four pages). List only what was done in the merit year.
- Current Vita
- Submit only ONE example of a current course syllabus used within the evaluation year.
- Raw data on student evaluations (which will be returned). [Clearly summarize course and instructor ratings and comments in your APER].
- Publications (in progress work should not be submitted)
- In press
- Thank you notes and extra materials should not be submitted. Save these items for building a file for P&T.
- Form 25 – The Department Head will consult with the academic unit's tenured faculty and provide an appraisal of the candidate's teaching, research, and service according to Section 7.11 of the Tenure Regulations and the unit's Section 7.12 statement. The Department Head then provides an appraisal and recommendation on the Form 25 - Appraisals of Probationary Faculty (Word file). This will be with the Dept. Head when you meet for your probationary faculty meeting. It is signed and dated at the meeting. The completed and signed Form 25 will be attached to the candidate's APER and Probationary Faculty Appraisal Report before it is sent to the Dean's office.