Psychology Major - Online | Department of Psychology
You are here
Interested in taking your Associate of Arts Degree or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum to the next level? The Online Psychology major is designed for students with an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, students who have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MTC). Click HERE to apply!
Application deadline for the Psychology Online program is June 15th.
The Online Psychology major admits students every FALL semester. This program is capped at 15 new students per year.
To qualify for admission, students must have the following:
- Completed an Associate of Arts degree or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, or has verification of registration from the transfer institution where completing remaining credits for AA degree or MTC.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Completed all high school preparation requirements in high school or during previously completed college coursework. Applicants should take appropriate courses at the community college to resolve any deficiencies prior to applying to UMD.
- Completed General Psychology (PSY 1003) or equivalent.
- It is recommended but not required, that applicants have completed the following courses prior to entry in to the program:
1. College level biology course with lab component
2. College algebra or ACT mathematics score of at least 21
Contact Heather Rondeau, Admissions Transfer Counselor (218-726-8615) to confirm whether a specific course at your community college will fulfill high school preparation requirements. High school preparation requirements include:
- THREE YEARS OF MATHEMATICS (Including a minimum of Algebra and Intermediate Algebra)
- TWO YEARS OF A SINGLE SECOND LANGUAGE
Along with the core requirements and electives, students are encouraged to select at least one personal experience that fosters engagement with psychology. This can include:
- Active membership in Psi Chi & Psychology Club
- Becoming a research and/or teaching assistant in cooperation with a psychology faculty member
- Applying for a UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunity Project)
- Completing a supervised internship in an organization (Psy 3011, pre-requisite Psy 3010)
- Conducting research or a project through guided independent study (Psy 3994, 3995, 3998, 3999
Honors in Psychology: (Effective Fall 2015)
Students with a Psychology Major GPA of 3.80 or higher AND who have a minimum overall UMD GPA of 3.00 can graduate with Honors in Psychology if they complete one of the following:
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Project (UROP). Application deadlines are in October and February
- Honors Project in Psychology (Psy 3986)
- Complete a 5xxx level Psychology course with a grade of B or better
To receive departmental honors students must formally apply for them before a deadline during the term before they graduate. Students eligible for honors are urged to consult with their advisors or a psychology department faculty member on how they wish to pursue departmental honors before the end of their junior year.