Licensing Updates | Department of Education
You are here
This page contains the latest information on the Board of Teaching accreditation process
October 31, 2017: Submitted all programs for bi-annual PERCA program review. PELSB review process occurs October 2017-April 2018.
October 22-24, 2017: Board of Teaching (BOT) Unit Site Visit (Normal 7 year cycle review).
August 22, 2017: Unit Report sent to Board of Teaching (BOT) for October 2017 On-Site Visit.
May 31, 2016: The Board of Teaching granted approval for the Physical Education and Teaching Life Science programs. As of this date, all programs in the Department of Education are approved.
April 21, 2016: The Board of Teaching granted approval for the Early Childhood Special Education Standalone license.
March 11th, 2016: The Board of Teaching granted the University of Minnesota Duluth full and continuing Unit approval. Additionally, the following programs were approved:
- Art Education
- Integrated Elementary & Special Education
- Music Education-Instrumental
- Music Education-Vocal
- Public Health Education & Promotion-School
- Teaching Communication Arts & Literature
- Teaching Earth & Space Science
- Teaching French
- Teaching German
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Social Studies
- Teaching Spanish
- Teaching Physical Science-Chemistry
- Teaching Physical Science-Physics
- Unified Early Childhood Studies
The following programs were approved at the Board of Teaching on January 14th, 2016:
- (Post Bac) Mid Level Endorsement: Communication Arts & Literature 5-8
- (Post Bac) Mid Level Endorsement: Mathematics 5-8
- (Post Bac) Mid Level Endorsement: Social Studies 5-8
- (Post Bac) Mid Level Endorsement: General Science 5-8
The following programs are set to be on the Board of Teaching Agenda in May:
- Physical Education
- Teaching Life Science
Note: Student in Physical Education and Teaching Life Science will remain fully licensable throughout the process.
During our site visit the Board of Teaching noted the strong commitment to community collaboration, academic excellence, and academic advising. Our teacher preparation programs continue to prepare highly qualified teachers through a rigorous curriculum, extensive field placement experiences, and a strong commitment to community.
November 13, 2015: Board of Teaching approves that all Fall 2015 graduates are eligible for full licensure at the point of graduation. Students need to be sure to meet the MN State Licensure Requirements upon earning their degree (required MN State Licensure Exams and submission of edTPA). Review licensing checklists online at: http://z.umn.edu/licensure.
October 30, 2015: Board of Teaching site visit scheduled for February 18th, 2016
October 16, 2015: Many folks have expressed concerns regarding the media coverage of the lawsuit filed by former UMD Education students against UMD on October 15th, 2015.
Most importantly, for current students - There are provisions for licensure in place that are allowed within Board of Teaching procedures to ensure that current students, including the students who will be graduating in December, will not be negatively impacted during the review process.
The following are some key points to help to clarify our current review status and its impact on our Teacher Education students:
- December 2014 graduates received a temporary license while we worked out the issue with the Board of Teaching (BoT), and subsequently received full licensure.
- May 2015 grads received full licensure in the typical timeframe.
- Regarding accreditation, we are currently undergoing a review by the Board of Teaching, which will finalize our accreditation status.
- Our program submissions, which are part of this review, and the written report, also part of the review, have been completed.
- The rest of the accreditation process will follow the BoT timeline.
We will continue to post updates regarding our progress through the review process, including the date of the pending on-site visit, when this information becomes available.
October 2, 2015: Review Report submitted to the Board of Teaching
August 14, 2015: The following programs have been submitted to the Board of Teaching for review:
- Unified Early Childhood Education (UECH)
- Music (Vocal, Instrumental)
- World Languages (French, German, Spanish)
August 3, 2015: The following programs have been submitted to the Board of Teaching for review:
- Integrated Elementary and Special Education (IESE)
- Secondary Education / K-12 Education programs
- Communication Arts
- Physical Education
- Public Health Education and Promotion - School
- Science (General, Physics, Chemistry, Life Science, Earth and Space)
- Social Studies
July 27, 2015 : final updates completed. Final preparation for submission underway. We are on track to meet our August 1st deadline for full program submissions to the BoT.
July 1st, 2015 : all initial reporting submitted to the accreditation office at UMD