BOT Updates - Department of Education
You are here
Updates from the Board of Teaching
- November 2015 Board of Teaching Memo
- May 2015 Board of Teaching Memo
- July 2015 Board of Teaching Memo
- Adopted Unit and Program Rule Changes
- Since Special Ed is not listed in the rule changes here is the legislative rule link:
Board of Teaching Meetings:
(Updated 12/6/2015) NEW ACT English/Writing Scoring:
- if a student is using their ACT PLUS Writing, to fulfill their MTLE Basic Skills Exam requirement, prior to September 2015. They would need a 22 Composite Score and a 21 or higher on their English/Writing Subtest.
- If a student is using their ACT PLUS Writing, to fulfill their MTLE Basic Skills Exam requirement, September 2015 forward. They would need a 22 Composite Score and a 21 or higher on their ELA Subtest.
Special Education Pipeline Extension (EBD/LD) All candidates completing programs under former Special Education Rule must have fully completed all program requirements prior to January 1, 2015. Candidates who completed discontinued SPED programs prior to January 1, 2015 may complete testing and supply passing MTLE scores to be recommended for licensure under the old rule until May 30, 2016. *After May 30, 2016 all pipeline candidates will be expected to have completed currently approved special education program requirements.
Unit and Program Rule Changes (Effective January 1, 2016):
Adopted unit and program rule changes can be located at http://mn.gov/board-of-teaching/board-operations/initiatives/. All units and programs must be in compliance by the effective date. Program Effectiveness Reports for Continuing Approval (PERCA) submitted in fall 2015 for re-approval in 2016 must show compliance to the new clinical and student teaching requirements: 100 clinical hours prior to student teaching, and student teaching experience for initial licensure of a minimum of twelve continuous weeks, full time, face to face. Candidates admitted to licensure programs prior to December 31, 2015 need not be held to meeting the new clinical and student teaching requirements. At the time of application, candidates admitted after December 31, 2015 must evidence meeting the new clinical and student teaching requirements.
- Since all our programs with the Exception of Special Education: ABS were discontinued in March 2015, all candidates admitted to the blocks prior to March 2015 will be allowed to follow the old rule. Once our programs regain approval, all candidates will be expected to follow the new rules. Since IESE was never included on a pipeline list any current students are expected to follow the new rules.
Course Exemption Evaluation: Click here to view form
Under MN Rule 8700.7600, Subpart 5, Standards D5 and F3 require units to have a process in place for documenting the credit given to candidates for coursework and experiences completed outside of their enrollment in the approved MN program. Documentation of the course substitutions or the granting of credit for taking a course that is equivalent to the one required in your program must be submitted at the time of licensure application. This documentation explains any discrepancy between program requirements and course work present on the transcript(s). If you have questions about this process, please contact one of our Teacher Education Specialists at your earliest convenience.
MDE Educator Licensing and the MN Board of Teaching requires that there is documentation submitted with the license application that includes any exceptions made to a candidates degree and any transfer work decision. So the licensure officer performs an individual audit on each academic record and completes the course exception evaluation to be sent to Educator Licensing.