Background Checks & Insurance | Department of Education
You are here
Teacher candidates need to have a completed background check BEFORE they can be placed in schools. UMD requires a background check with General Information Services (GIS). The verification is designed to meet State school district guidelines governing adults with responsibility for children. UMD students who are assigned to a field placement must have a background check completed and on file with the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
Note: Many schools have additional district background checks, confidentiality agreements, mantoux test and/or drug test requirements. Some schools want a copy of your UMD background check which only you can provide. Teacher candidates need to complete any additional requirements BEFORE going into schools.
Background Check FAQ's
1. How do I complete the GIS background check?
- You will be sent an email from GIS. It will read either "BIG10 @geninfo.com/GIS" or eServices@geninfo.com Check spam folders.
- You will be asked to create a user ID in order to enter the GIS system. The user ID is your UMD email address.
- The form will read as though it is employment related even though it is for school placement.
- Complete the form and send it back WITHIN 5 DAYS! You will be sent a reminder from GIS on the 3rd day.
2. How long do UMD background checks last?
3 years. You will be notified by Chris Engen via email if you need to complete another background check.
3. Can I use a background check from somewhere else?
No, they need to be done by UMD through GIS only.
4. How do I get a copy of the UMD background check?
Make sure you click "Receive a paper copy" when filling out the report. You will receive a report from GIS via US mail at your home address. Save this report for future placements. The UMD Field Experiences Office notifies school districts about the completion of the background check but cannot provide you a copy.
5. What if I lose my copy of the GIS background check?
Contact GIS at 866-265-4917 UMD Office of Field Experiences does not have a copy of your background check.
6. Is there a cost?
Each background check costs $44. It is billed to your student account.
You Must Have Liability Insurance To Go Into Classrooms! You Need To Bring Insurance Receipt To Professional Day So You Can Get Your Placement Contracts!
Receipt from purchasing Education Minnesota Liability Insurance. You can obtain the insurance with a credit card. Insurance is only good until August the year of purchase. So if you purchased Fall or Spring, you will need to purchase it again for the following Fall.