STEP Student Teaching | Department of Education
You are here
STEP majors have different student teaching requirements depending on content area:
- Physical Education: 8 weeks ElEd / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Physical Education /Health: 8 weeks PE ElEd / 8 weeks Health MS or HS
- Music: 8 weeks ElEd / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Art: 8 weeks ElEd / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Spanish or German: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Communication Arts: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Social Studies: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Health: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Math: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Science: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Double major: 12 weeks one content area /8 weeks in another content area
- International Student Teaching: 8 Weeks Abroad In Content Area/ 8 Weeks U.S. In Content Area
Student teaching placements are made by the Field Experiences office AFTER a teacher candidate applies for student teaching. STEP faculty review the teacher candidates application and decide if the student teacher will student teacher abroad or at a distance site.
Obtain the Student Teaching Application by the first week of the semester prior to the semester that you plan to student teach. The completed application is due the fourth Friday of the semester (at 4 p.m. in Bohannon 116D in Chris Engen's office) for the following semester.
After a student teaching placement is made, teacher candidates are responsible for setting up a readiness meeting with their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher. This readiness meeting will be led by the faculty supervisor who will explain responsibilities of all involved.
Faculty supervisors will observe and document a student teacher candidate's progress over the course of the semester.
Teacher candidates must complete the edTPA and upload it to be scored.
Teacher candidates must receive a passing grade from both their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher to pass student teaching. There will be a Mid-Point and Final evaluation to be completed by the mentor teacher and the teacher candidate.