You are here
Application for Admission
Department of Education
The application period for admission to blocks in Spring 2020 is now open! All applications must be submitted in Tk20. All applications are due by Friday, October 4th at 4pm.
Application for Admission
UECH Eligible Block Application Semesters
If accepted, the student will start the blocks the following semester.
Eligible Application Semester
|Unified Early Childhood Studies||Fall Only|
*Please consult advisor and program coordinator if out of sequence regarding options for application term.
Selection of Candidates
Acceptance into the Unified Early Childhood Studies major is selective. The number of students admitted to each cohort is limited in order to maintain a high quality program. Students must meet all the admission requirements to be accepted. Applicants are selected according to their rank in the application process.
ALL essential components listed below must be completed correctly and submitted on time in order for the application to be accepted.
Program applicants must have the following to be considered:
- A declared teacher education major
- A 2.7 Cumulative GPA
- A 2.7 Major GPA
- Have completed/In progress, a total of 45 credits. The following courses must be completed or in progress: SPED 4433, EDUC 1100, EDUC 1101, ECH 2010, ECH 2025, ECH 2015, and the majority of your liberal education coursework.
- Have attempted a Basic Skills Exam Option: Taken the NES Essential Academic Skills, ACT Plus Writing, SAT, MTLE (prior to 6/9/2016) OR Praxis (prior to 9/1/2010) [Required scores]
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Have a demonstrated commitment to working with children. This includes 60 hours in supervised settings during the past 2 years; preferably 30 hours in an early primary (K-3) setting and 30 hours in an early childhood (birth-age 5) setting.
- A complete application to the program submitted to TK20 by the due date.
ADMISSION TO THE MAJOR APPLICATIONS ARE DUE THE SIXTH FRIDAY OF EACH SEMESTER, AT 4 P.M., FOR THE FOLLOWING SEMESTER.
Application Components to be uploaded into TK20
In order to better prepare for your application completion we strongly recommend that you collect these documents as soon as possible to be ready when the application period opens. All documents must be in electronic format (.pdf, .doc/.docx, .jpg, .png). The Multi Media Hub in the library can assist with scanning physical documents into a digital format.
APAS Report or Post Post Bac Contract
- APAS Report
- Click here for instructions on how to download the “printer friendly report version”.pdf. Instructions also guide you through using Adobe Reader’s highlight tool. Use the highlight tool to indcate the following requirements on your APAS:
- Cumulative GPA & Major GPA are both 2.7 or greater
- Cumulative Credits (completed and in progress): Must be a minimum of 45 credits
- Required pre-block courses (grades must be C- or better)
- SPED 4433
- EDUC 1100
- EDUC 1101
- ECH 2010
- ECH 2025
- ECH 2015
- Post Bac Contract
- Link to the Tentative Planner
- Download the tentative planner and add the terms in which you plan to be in each block and any outstanding coursework remaining during the blocks. Once completed, make sure to save the tentative planner.
This letter should be professional in nature, signed by you, and must include a personal statement describing the reasons you consider yourself a good candidate for the Unified Early Childhood Studies Program. You must also directly address each of the essential qualifications, highlighting your strengths in meeting or exceeding the qualifications. You may also describe other qualities and skills you would bring to the early childhood profession. For example, you may include descriptions of experiences that have led to your interest in the early childhood profession, personal qualities that would serve the profession, philosophical statements describing your ideas about young children or education at this time, etc. Your letter should be professional and free of errors.
Cover letter should be addressed to:
Unified Early Childhood Studies Faculty Committee
UMD Department of Education
412 Library Drive
Duluth, MN 55812-3029
3 Letters of Recommendation
You must have at least three signed letters of recommendation. The letters should verify the required minimum of 60 hours of experience with children aged Birth-Pre-K and K-Grade 3. Preferably, this would be a supervisor who has observed you working with young children. Other letters may come from employers, professors, and other people who know you in another context. However, they must be able to address such areas as your character, attitudes, and work ethic.
Test score report
You are required to upload your official score report showing evidence of having taken your Basic Skills Exam option.
- MTLE taken before 6/9/2016 would have been emailed to you in a .pdf report or is accessible in your online account at MTLE
- NES Essential academic skills taken 6/9/2016 to the present would have been emailed to you in a .pdf report or is accessible in your online account at NES
- ACT PLUS Writing: go online to z.umn.edu/getactscores
- SAT: Get scores
- Praxis I (prior to 9/1/2010): official score report mailed to student.