Ed. D. Application for Admission
Department of Education
You are here
Thank you for your interest in graduate study at the University of Minnesota Duluth! Unfortunately, the Ed.D. program is not currently admitting new students, but we will add your name to our inquiry list, and will be happy to contact you when the program is prepared to admit a new cohort of students. If you are interested in being added to the contact list please email email@example.com.
Applications to the Ed.D. program are accepted every other year. The start of our Summer 2015 cohort has been postponed until further notice. Applications that were submitted prior to March 5, 2015 will be reviewed once program approval is granted. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
To apply to the Ed.D. Program at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD), you should possess the following:
- Master's degree, or a comparable foreign degree from a recognized college or university, in education or a related field (e.g., special education, curriculum and instruction, human development, psychology, social work, management science, criminology);
- Preferred minimum graduate GPA of 3.0;
- Submission of GRE scores is required;
- Minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based);
- 3 Letters of Recommendation;
- A minimum of 3 work samples;
- A personal statement of career objectives.
Instructions for application, and the application form are available from the UMD Graduate School website.
GRE scores will be considered as part of a holistic evaluation of the application. Students will also be required to complete an assessment designed to determine an individual's fit with the hybrid model. Results of the survey will also be used as part of a holistic evaluation of the application. Up to 26 students will be admitted to the program every other year.
The General GRE Exam (not a content test) is required. Click here for the GRE web site.
Complete the online application. You may upload your transcript(s) with your application. However, before you can be admitted to the program, an official transcript from your master's university as well as your undergraduate university must be sent directly to the graduate school at:
U of M Graduate School
309 Johnson Hall
101 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
In addition, the application must include three letters of recommendation, a minimum of three work samples (e.g., Master's thesis, written reports, journal articles, presentations, curricula or other professional artifacts), interview and a personal statement of career objectives. The statement of career objectives will be used to:
- Evaluate how well this program will meet the needs of the applicant,
- Determine if appropriate concentration courses are available, and
- Conduct an initial evaluation of writing skills.
The Ed.D. in Teaching and Learning program starts a new cohort in the summer of odd years. The deadline is February 15th. Please Note: If the 15th falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following business day.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for admission well in advance of the term in which they wish to enter the Graduate School (but no more than one year in advance of the proposed entry date). The Graduate School application, complete with all required materials, must be submitted by the deadline listed above.
For additional information, email the Ed.D. Program Contacts: