Additional License | Department of Education
You are here
License Add-on or Endorsement Application
Licenses must be issued by PELSB Educator Licensing on or before June 30, 2018 to fall under this current license structure. Licenses issued starting July 1, 2018 forward will fall under the new Tiered Licensing System (pending rule-making and PELSB approval).
Current Licensing System
(license issued on or before June 30, 2018)
This license is for a candidate who currently holds a Minnesota License and is adding on another licensure area and/or an endorsement area.
- If you hold a limited license or short call sub license and have met all the full time license requirements.
- If you are adding a new licensure or endorsement area.
If your five-year license is issued prior to July 1, 2018, the license will convert to a Tier 4 license on July 1, 2019. If the license is issued on or after July 1, 2018, they will be issued a Tier 3 license (or potentially Tier 2 if they have not passed content and/or pedagogy exams).
A one year standard license can be issued on or before June 30, 2018, this is for applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program, have attempted all required exams. The one year standard license will be issued until June 30, 2019. Then if the Content/Pedagogy Exams are passed the teacher can renew to a Tier 3 license. If the Content/Pedagogy Exams have not been passed the teacher can renew in a Tier 2 license with district verification from the district seeking to hire the teacher.
To qualify for this license you must:
- Submit your edTPA
- Complete your teacher licensure program requirements and have degree or milestone posted to transcript
- Pass ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (5 year license) OR attempt ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (1 year license)
- Submit your exit survey online (http://z.umn.edu/edgradexitsurvey), licensing agreement worksheet, edTPA Submission email/Pearson edTPA Report, and license verification worksheet
How to Apply:
Recommendation for Licensure:
You must be recommended for licensure through the University of Minnesota Duluth.
A complete license application packet includes:
- Completed "Application to add a field to an existing Minnesota License"-please put your student ID number at the top
- Check or Money order for $57.00 payable to "PELSB"
- License verification worksheet-be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to PELSB.
- License Agreement Document review each area and initial & sign and date the document
- Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
OR Submit in person at the CEHSP Accreditation Office in 116 Bohannon Hall.
Please pay attention to the Tiered Licensing System and how that will impact your renewal.