Additional License | Department of Education
You are here
License Add-on or Endorsement Application
This license is for a candidate who currently holds a Minnesota License and is adding on another licensure area and/or an endorsement area.
- If you hold a limited license or short call sub license and have met all the full time license requirements.
- If you hold a license in one licensure area and are adding a new licensure or endorsement area.
- If you currently hold a limited license and are now moving to the one year standard license while you continue to attempt your MTLEs.
A full professional license is issued for five years to applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program that lead to licensure, have passed all required exams and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement.
A one year standard license will be issued to applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program, have attempted all required exams, and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement.
To qualify for this license you must:
- Submit your edTPA
- Complete your teacher licensure program requirements and have degree or milestone posted to transcript
- Pass ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (5 year license) OR attempt ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (1 year license)
- Submit your exit survey online, licensing agreement worksheet, and license verification worksheet
How to Apply:
Recommendation for Licensure:
You must be recommended for licensure through the University of Minnesota Duluth.
A complete license application packet includes:
- Completed "Application to add a field to an existing Minnesota License"-please put your student ID number at the top
- Check or Money order for $57.00 payable to "Commissioner of MDE"
- License verification worksheet-be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to the MDE Educator Licensing/MN PELSB.
- License Agreement Document review each area and initial & sign and date the document
- Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
The full professional license is a 5 year license. In order to renew your license after the five year window you will need to work with MDE Educator Licensing to complete the Renewal Requirements.
- See granted license for specific renewal requirements.
The one year standard license is a one year license. In order to renew your license you must attempt your unmet MTLE Exam(s) in order to renew for another year. The one year standard license can be renewed for up to four times.