Initial Full Time Licensure | Department of Education

You are here

First-Time Full Professional Minnesota Education License (for candidates who do not hold a MN License)

A full professional license is issued for five years to applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program that lead to licensure, have passed all required exams and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement.

To qualify for this license you must:

  • Submit your edTPA
  • Earn your degree
  • Pass ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area
  • Submit your exit survey online, licensing agreement worksheet, license verification worksheet.

How to Apply:

Apply for your teaching license online at MDE Educator Licensing:

Apply online at:  MDE Online Licensing and Click on Online Licensing System

Recommendation for Licensure:

You must be recommended for licensure through the University of Minnesota Duluth.

A completed license application packet includes:

  • Checklist/Cover-page (printed from MDE Educator Licensing online application)-indicate Licensure Field in blank field
  • Verification of Completion of Program form (printed from MDE Educator Licensing online application)-add UMD Student ID number to the top
  • License verification worksheet - be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to the MDE Educator Licensing/MN PELSB.
  • License Agreement Document - review each area and initial & sign and date the document
  • Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
  • Fingerprint card with fingerprints & demographic information completed in Black Ink

All licensure materials need to be mailed to:

CEHSP Accreditation
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812

Licensure Renewal:

The full professional license is a 5 year license. In order to renew your license after the five year window you will need to work with MDE Educator Licensing to complete the Renewal Requirements.

      • See granted license for specific renewal requirements.