Initial Full Time Licensure | Department of Education
You are here
First-Time Full Professional Minnesota Education License (for candidates who do not hold a MN License)
A full professional license is issued for five years to applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program that lead to licensure, have passed all required exams and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement.
To qualify for this license you must:
- Submit your edTPA
- Earn your degree
- Pass ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area
- Submit your exit survey online, licensing agreement worksheet, license verification worksheet.
How to Apply:
- Initial Full Time Full Professional License Checklist
- How to Apply for an Initial Full Time Professional License PowerPoint
Apply for your teaching license online at MDE Educator Licensing:
Apply online at: MDE Online Licensing and Click on Online Licensing System
Recommendation for Licensure:
You must be recommended for licensure through the University of Minnesota Duluth.
A completed license application packet includes:
- Checklist/Cover-page (printed from MDE Educator Licensing online application)-indicate Licensure Field in blank field
- Verification of Completion of Program form (printed from MDE Educator Licensing online application)-add UMD Student ID number to the top
- License verification worksheet - be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to the MDE Educator Licensing/MN BOT.
- License Agreement Document - review each area and initial & sign and date the document
- Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
- Fingerprint card with fingerprints & demographic information completed in Black Ink
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
The full professional license is a 5 year license. In order to renew your license after the five year window you will need to work with MDE Educator Licensing to complete the Renewal Requirements.
- See granted license for specific renewal requirements.