Tier 2 License
Department of Education
You are here
Tier 2 License
(license issued starting July 1, 2018 and forward):
|License Requirements||Number of Year License Valid||Renewal Options||Bargaining/Contract||Rule-making/Legislative Language||License Notes|
Tier 2 can be renewed 3 times. *Jointly with district
Completed Teacher Preparation Program: Can move to Tier 3 with passing Content/Pedagogy Exams (then license will no longer be linked to district).
Teachers are in the Bargaining Unit and are not probationary. If these teachers get to Tier 3, then two years of successful teaching at Tier 2 can count towards Tier 3 requirement of 3 years of probation.
Teachers at Tier 2 do not have continuing contract rights.
The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board is currently working with their IT Department to establish the new online application system to align with the Tiered Licensing System. This application system will not be ready for the July 1, 2018 Tiered Licensure Implementation date. PELSB has established an interim paper application process until the new online application system is live and ready for use.
Find Tiered Licensure Application Materials online at: Tiered Licensure Application
A completed license application packet includes:
- A completed paper Tiered Licensure Application
- A Check or Money Order for $89.00 payable to PELSB
- License verification worksheet - be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to the PELSB Educator Licensing/MN PELSB.
- License Agreement Document - review each area and initial & sign and date the document
- Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
- Printed copy of the edTPA Submission Email OR Pearson edTPA Score Report
- Fingerprint card with fingerprints & demographic information completed in Black Ink
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
turned in In-Person to the CEHSP Accreditation Office, 116 Bohannon Hall.
Paper applications will take longer to process at the state with PELSB. To make sure PELSB offers the best customer service possible ahead of the upcoming school year board staff are taking the following steps to support applicants in the process:
- Extending phone hours to 4:00pm daily (starting June 25) to help answer applicant questions
- Hiring additional staff for licensing and customer service support
- Moving staff from other duties to issue licenses
- Offering trainings and support in understanding the application process
- Communicating ongoing changes and updates via our email listserv (you can subscribe through our website https://mn.gov/pelsb/)