Short Call Substitute License

Department of Education

You are here

Short Call Substitute License
(License must be issued on or before June 30, 2018)

Licenses must be issued by PELSB Educator Licensing on or before June 30, 2018 to fall under this current license structure.  Licenses issued starting July 1, 2018 forward will fall under the new Tiered Licensing System (pending rule-making and PELSB approval).

A short call substitute teaching license is granted to an applicant who has completed a teacher preparation program leading to licensure in the governmental jurisdiction (state or country) in which the teacher preparation program was completed. This license allows for teaching on a day-to-day basis, not to exceed 15 consecutive days replacing the same teacher. The license is valid for functioning as a short call substitute teacher at all grade levels in all teaching fields.
NOTE: A long call substitute teacher is one who replaces the same teacher for 15 or more consecutive days. A long call substitute teacher must hold a Minnesota license or permission valid for the assignment.

To qualify for this license you must:

  • Submit your edTPA
  • Submit your exit survey online
  • Submit licensing agreement
  • Earn your degree

How to Apply:

Apply for your teaching license online at PELSB Educator Licensing:

Apply online at:  PELSB Online Licensing and Click on Online Licensing System

NOTE:  choose short call substitute teacher.  This process is done directly with PELSB Educator Licensing.
UMD Licensing STRONGLY encourages students to obtain the Tier 2 or 3 license immediately following graduation to ensure license recommendation directly aligns with the approved Professional Educators and Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) license requirements.  If you obtain the short call substitute license and do not follow through on completing recommendation through UMD for the Tier 2 or 3License license please be aware that you need to meet licensing requirements at the point of licensure recommendation (this could mean additional courses, testing, etc).

Recommendation for Licensure:

You are granted licensure directly through PELSB Educator Licensure. All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
PELSB Educator Licensing
1500 Highway 36 West
Roseville MN 55113

License Renewal:

  • Renewal done through PELSB Educator licensing renewal.