Initial Full Time Licensure | Department of Education
You are here
First-Time Initial Minnesota Education License (for candidates who do not hold a MN License)
Licenses must be issued by PELSB Educator Licensing on or before June 30, 2018 to fall under this current license structure. Licenses issued starting July 1, 2018 forward will fall under the new Tiered Licensing System (pending rule-making and PELSB approval).
A 5 year full professional license is issued for five years to applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program that lead to licensure, have passed all required exams and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement. One standard license is for applicants who have completed a state approved teacher preparation program that leads to licensure, have taken all required exams and have demonstrated completion of the Human Relations requirement. Both the five year full professional application process and the one year standard license application process is the same. The License Officer will recommend you for the 1 year or 5 year on the institutional recommendation form at the point of licensure recommendation.
To qualify for this license you must:
- Submit your edTPA
- Earn your degree
- Pass ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (5 year) OR Take ALL required MTLE Exams for your licensure area (1 year).
- Submit your exit survey online, licensing agreement worksheet, license verification worksheet, and evidence of edTPA submission.
How to Apply:
Apply for your teaching license online at PELSB Educator Licensing:
Apply online at: PELSB Online Licensing and Click on Online Licensing System
Recommendation for Licensure:
You must be recommended for licensure through the University of Minnesota Duluth.
A completed license application packet includes:
- Checklist/Cover-page (printed from PELSB Educator Licensing online application)-indicate Licensure Field in blank field
- Verification of Completion of Program form (printed from PELSB Educator Licensing online application)-add UMD Student ID number to the top
- License verification worksheet - be sure to indicate date edTPA submitted, date exit survey submitted and sign to release transcripts to the PELSB Educator Licensing/MN PELSB.
- License Agreement Document - review each area and initial & sign and date the document
- Have submitted UMD Education Exit Survey online
- Printed copy of the edTPA Submission Email OR Pearson edTPA Score Report
- Fingerprint card with fingerprints & demographic information completed in Black Ink
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
turned in In-Person to the CEHSP Accreditation Office, 116 Bohannon Hall.
The full professional license is a 5 year license. In order to renew your license after the five year window you will need to work with PELSB Educator Licensing to complete the Renewal Requirements.
- See granted license for specific renewal requirements.
Please pay attention to the Tiered Licensing System and how that will impact your renewal.
Minnesota Educator License Application Instructions for all license types