Short Call Substitute License
This license allows for teaching on a day-to-day basis, not to exceed 15 consecutive days replacing the same teacher. The license is valid for functioning as a short call substitute teacher at all grade levels in all teaching fields.
NOTE: A long call substitute teacher is one who replaces the same teacher for 15 or more consecutive days. A long call substitute teacher must hold a Minnesota Tier license or permission valid for the assignment.
If you complete a teacher preparation program through UMD and obtain a Tier 3 license, the Tier 3 license can be automatically used for short-call substitute teaching.
Eligibility for a Short Call Substitute License
- hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree from a college or university located int he United States that is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission or by the regional association for accreditation of colleges and secondary schools, as verified by a college transcript.
- hold a credential from outside the United States that is equivalent to a bachelor's degree, as verified by a credential evaluation completed by a creditial evaluator approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or other board-approved creditenital evaluation services
- for applicants in career and technical education fields and career pathway courses of study have one of the following:
- five years of relevant work experience aligned to the assignment
- an associate's degree aligned to the assignment, or
- a professional certification aligned to the assignment from an approved certifying organization
- be enrolled in and making meaningful progress, as defined by the provider, in a board-approved teacher preparation program and have successfully completed student teaching to be employed as a short-call substitute teacher.
Length of license
- The short-call substitute license is valid for up to 3 years and expires on June 30th of the expiration year.
- Applicants must re-apply for a short-call substitute license upon its expiration.
To qualify for this license you must
- Work directly with PELSB and apply for the license online at PELSB's website: Short-Call Substitute Application
- Order official transcript online UMD OneStop to be sent to yourself (do not open when you receive). Mail official transcript and finger print card to Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board, 1021 Bandana Blvd. E., Suite 222, St. Paul, MN 55108-5111
NOTE: choose short call substitute teacher. This process is done directly with PELSB Educator Licensing.
UMD Licensing STRONGLY encourages students to obtain the Tier 2 or 3 license immediately following graduation to ensure license recommendation directly aligns with the approved Professional Educators and Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) license requirements. If you obtain the short call substitute license and do not follow through on completing recommendation through UMD for the Tier 2 or 3License license please be aware that you need to meet licensing requirements at the point of licensure recommendation (this could mean additional courses, testing, etc).
Recommendation for Licensure
Your short-call substitute license will be granted directly from PELSB Licensing. All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board
1021 Bandana Blvd. E., Suite 222
St. Paul, MN 55108-5111
Renewal done through PELSB Educator licensing renewal.