You are here
Tier 2 License
Department of Education
Tier 2 License
(license issued starting July 1, 2018 and forward):
|License Requirements||Number of Year License Valid||Renewal Options||Bargaining/Contract||Rule-making/Legislative Language||License Notes|
Tier 2 can be renewed 3 times. *Jointly with district
Completed Teacher Preparation Program: Can move to Tier 3 with passing Content/Pedagogy Exams (then license will no longer be linked to district).
Teachers are in the Bargaining Unit and are not probationary. If these teachers get to Tier 3, then two years of successful teaching at Tier 2 can count towards Tier 3 requirement of 3 years of probation.
Teachers at Tier 2 do not have continuing contract rights.
The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board is currently working with their IT Department to establish the new online application system to align with the Tiered Licensing System. This application system will not be ready for the July 1, 2018 Tiered Licensure Implementation date. PELSB has established an interim paper application process until the new online application system is live and ready for use.
Find Tiered Licensure Application Materials online at: Tiered Licensure Application
A completed license application packet includes:
- A completed paper Tiered Licensure Application
- A Check or Money Order for $90.25 (initial license) or $57.00 (additional MN license) payable to PELSB
- Completed MN Teacher License Verification Information Google Form: https://z.umn.edu/mnteacherlicenseverification
- Completed UMD Education Exit Survey online
- Emailed a copy of the edTPA Submission Email OR Pearson edTPA Score Report to email@example.com
- Fingerprint card with fingerprints & demographic information completed in Black Ink
All licensure materials need to be mailed to:
125 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
turned in In-Person to the CEHSP Accreditation Office, 116 Bohannon Hall.
PELSB License Application Processing:
- The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board will have all license applications processed within 30 days of receiving the application materials with UMD recomendation and the returned background check results from the background check agency.
- PELSB will no longer be processing license expedites with districts.