Department of Education
You are here
Exams required by major:
Find out the exams that align with your major here.
All candidates applying for a first time Minnesota teaching license must take ONE of the THREE adopted tests in professional knowledge. The candidate should select any pedagogy test within the grade range for which licensure is sought. If you already hold a license in the state of Minnesota and are seeking an additional license you do not need to take addition pedagogy exams.
MN Professional Educators and Licensing and Standards Board: Minnesota Teacher Licensure Testing Information
- $47.50 per sub-test
- Registration is done online through MTLE. Be sure to indicate UMD as a recipient of your scores.
MTLE Exam Structure and Exam Preparation:
Each exam includes two subtests. It is recommended that you take the exams right before student teaching.
|Major||Required Pedagogy Exam|
Special Education: Academic Behavioral Strategist (5th Year Licensure)
|Integrated Elementary & Special Education|
Public Health Education & Promotion-School
Unified Early Childhood Studies
If you are double major in a K-12 program and a 5-12 program you need to take the Secondary Pedagogy Exam.
- Example: If you are a Physical Education and Public Health Education & Promotion School double major you need to take the Secondary pedagogy exam.
MTLE will email a .pdf score report to you on the score report date. It is important that you save a copy of your scores in your Google Drive for your records. Your score report will be available online as a PDF document for 45 days after the score report date. You may view, print, and save your score report from your account during that period.
- If you did not save a .pdf report of your scores request a score report.
Candidates who do not pass one or more subtest will have to retake just the portion that they did not pass. If you wish to retake a subtest, you must complete the registration process again. Please note that you must wait a minimum of 45 days before retaking the subtest.
Candidates who have failed a subtest five or more times may be eligible for a fee voucher for subsequent attempts. To request a retake fee voucher, contact Evaluation Systems (MTLE Program) at the toll free number listed on page one of this document.
Understanding your Test Results: The total subtest score is based on the number of raw score points earned on each section (multiple choice section and, for some tests, constructed response section); the proportion accounted for by each section, if applicable; and the scaling of that score. Raw scores are converted to a scale of 100 to 300.
- Review the MTLE Exam Structure and Exam Preparation Table (listed above)
- A study guide reference (SMSU MTLE Project)
- The UMD Library has exam preparation materials available for some exams (study guides and practice test), see if your required exams are available.