You are here
Field Supervisors & Agencies
Department of Social Work
If you are interested in having your agency approved as a field placement site for UMD MSW students, contact the Associate Field Director, Sara Lien.
MSW Field Supervisors may be eligible to receive a non-paid faculty appointment in the Department of Social Work during the period of time they are supervising an MSW student in a field placement. If you are interested in this, contact Sara Lien.
Field Supervisors Training Courses
Effective Fall Semester, 2006 all field supervisors are required to have completed training provided by the Department of Social Work prior to accepting an MSW field student for placement. Check here to see an updated sample of field activities that we will expect our students to participate in at their field placements.
We have developed two on-line courses to help fulfill this requirement. Potential MSW field supervisors need to complete the courses using the University of Minnesota's course management system, CANVAS. This allows for documentation of course completion, including on-line quizzes. Contact the Associate Field Director for instructions regarding enrollment.
We have 2 in-person training sessions each year. In the Fall Semester we have an Annual Fall Field Supervisor Training Luncheon in Duluth.
We also partner with the College of St. Scholastica and the University of Wisconsin Superior Social Work Programs to offer an annual Twin Ports Social Work Field Consortium Training for all supervisors.
- Field Agency Application
- Outside MSW Supervisor Contract
- Agency Agreement to Placement
- Form for MSW Supervisors to get Non-Paid Faculty Appointment
- Field Manual
- Intern Placement Tracking
- Sample Tasks for Field Students
- Information About Criminal Background Checks
- SW 5280 - Addressing Alcohol Related Problems in Social Work Practice
- Master's Advanced Curriculum Project: Teaching Resources for Health, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse (CSWE Geo-Ed Center)