Department of Education Travel Information
- Travel Request
- travel funding is available for tenured/tenure-track faculty or contract faculty with greater than a 50% position
- University Travel Card Application - UMD specific (return electronically to Shelley ([email protected]))
- University Travel Policy Website
- University Per Diem Rates
- International Travel Registry
- Travel Reimbursement - Chrome River (Access through MyU Portal, under the Key Links tab. Click on UTravel.)
Department of Education Travel Procedures
Step-by-step guide – Updated August, 2020
Where to start:
- Complete the electronic CEHSP Travel Request form to request funding for your trip. Once on the CEHSP webpage, go to ‘T’ for Travel, and then click ‘Education’ to begin your request.
- Once you have received an approval email on your travel request (from Shelley if Dept. funding only or Shawn Hubert and Shelley if Dean and Dept funding), you may begin to make your travel plans. If you have not received an approval email and you need to start making travel arrangements, be sure to talk to Shelley on how to proceed. PLAN AHEAD so you don’t get caught without enough time for everything to process!
- If you have a University Travel Card, you must use it to make your pre-travel purchases of airfare and conference registration. Within a week of your purchase, the charge will automatically load into Chrome River for you reconcile. These purchases need to be reconciled within 60 days of the purchase date – no matter if you have traveled yet or not.
If you do not have a University Travel Card, you can purchase your airfare and conference registration fees with a personal credit card and as soon as you have your receipt(s), you can do a reimbursement in Chrome River. Once your expense report is approved, you will receive reimbursement in approx. 48 hours.
We encourage all faculty to apply for a University Travel Card--please complete the application and email it to Shelley.
Logging into Chrome River is easy! From your portal page, click on the Key Links tab across the top of the page, select UTravel, and then open the Chrome River Login on the right side of the page.
Once you have traveled:
You must complete your own travel expense reimbursement in Chrome River within 60 days of the last day of travel. Be sure to leave enough time for the reimbursement to get approved and through the system in that 60 day window. If your expense report is processed after the 60 days, you will need to enter a justification for late reporting and you may be subject to taxation on your total reimbursement amount.
Before you begin a travel expense reimbursement in Chrome River – get organized!
- Find your travel request confirmation email from Shelley and/or Shawn so that you have your allocation (budget) # and approved amount of funding for travel. You cannot complete your reimbursement without this information.
- Upload your receipts onto your computer. It is easiest to add your receipt as an attachment from your computer directly into Chrome River when you start doing your reimbursement. OR, you can upload your receipts in advance of doing your reimbursement directly into Chrome River using [email protected] This takes 20-30 minutes for them to appear once uploaded.
- Make sure you have your complete justification for travel, travel dates, and all of your expenses identified and in front of you as it is easiest if you can sit down and complete the travel reimbursement all at once. Have an idea of what your reimbursement total should look like to be able to double check that everything is correct.
Once you have done steps 1, 2 and 3 in the ‘Once you have traveled’ section, set aside time to do your reimbursement in Chrome River so you are not rushed. The first time through you will likely need help with your reimbursement. Send an email to Shelley to request an appointment in order to process it together. You will need to complete the reimbursement on your own University device (computer, laptop, etc) so it recognizes you and can find your receipts.
When you have made sure your reimbursement is complete, hit submit. It will automatically route to Shelley for review and then to Jane for approval. If there are missing items or errors in the reimbursement, it will need to be sent back to you for correction. The traveler is the only person that can make corrections to the reimbursement request.
When the reimbursement is approved, it routes electronically through the University system. You will receive your reimbursement in approximately 48 hours once it has been fully approved.