Field Experiences and Student Teaching
In addition to your coursework at UMD, you will be placed in a variety of field experiences to meet licensure requirements depending on your major.
Please use the navigation on the left to explore field experiences for your program.
Professional Day Meeting
At the beginning of each semester, Professional Day is held for all teacher candidates in the Blocks. Professional Day topics may include:
- Minnesota Code of Ethics for Teachers
- Testing and Licensure
- International Student Teaching (when available)
- Resume Writing and Job Searches
Professional Day is typically the second Friday of the semester; you will receive additional information via email and through your Block courses. Your attendance is required.
Required prior to Field Placements
Students will not be placed in schools unless the following is completed.
- Receipt from purchasing Education Minnesota Liability Insurance. Students can obtain the insurance with a credit card. Insurance is only good until August the year of purchase. If insurance is purchased Fall or Spring, students will need to purchase it again for the following Fall.
- Completed Background Check.
- Mantoux test results and confidentiality form if placement is in Superior, WI. Students will be contacted by Office of Field Experiences if this applicable.
- Other district paperwork as needed.
Field Experience Badge Procedures
A Field Experience Badge is required for all Education students during their field placements. To request a badge, submit your information and a digital photo to the Field Experience Badge Google Form. Badge requests will only be taken through this form. Badges are to be kept for the duration of Education Block courses.
Photo must be of passport-quality, color photograph of you alone, taken within the last six months. The photo should include your head from bottom of the chin to top of head (including hair). Photo must be clear, front view, full face, taken in normal street attire without a hat, dark glasses, or other accessories. Photo must have a solid single color background (easily accomplished by taking a photo in front of a solid color wall). Please upload the photo file in .jpg format.
Completed badges will be distributed in Education Block field experience courses. In the case of a replacement badge, students will be emailed when the badge is ready for pick-up.
If you have questions, please contact the Department of Education at [email protected].