STEP majors have different student teaching requirements depending on content area:
- Art: 8 weeks in grades K-6 Art / 8 weeks in grades 5-8 or 9-12 Art classroom setting.
- Communication Arts & Literature: 16 weeks in grades 5-8 and 9-12 Communication Arts & Literature classroom setting.
- French, Spanish or German: 16 weeks of a combination grades 5-8 or 9-12 and K-6 aligned to content area classroom setting.
- Math: 16 weeks in grades 5-8 or 9-12 Mathematics classroom setting.
- Music: 8 weeks in grades K-6 General Music / 8 weeks in grades 5-8 or 9-12 aligned to Music content classroom setting.
- Physical Education: 8 weeks grades K-6 PE / 8 weeks grades 5-8 or 9-12 Physical Education classroom setting.
- Physical Education/Developmental & Adapted Physical Education: 16 weeks of a combination of grades K-6 Physical Education and DAPE classroom setting. NOTE: DAPE must meet the 80 hour practicum requirement.
- Physical Education /Health: 16 weeks of a combination of grades K-6 Physical Education and grades 5-8 or 9-12 Health classroom setting.
- Physical Education /Health/DAPE: 16 weeks of a combination of grades K-6 Physical Education, grades 5-8 or 9-12 Health and DAPE classroom setting. NOTE: DAPE must meet the 80 hour practicum requirement.
- Social Studies: 16 weeks in grades 5-8 or 9-12 Social Studies classroom setting.
- Health: 16 weeks 5-8 or 9-12 Health classroom setting.
- Science: 16 weeks 5-8 General Science and 9-12 Science Content Area classroom setting.
- Double major: Consult Jenny Bouchie, [email protected] for expectation
- International Student Teaching: Consult Erin Pepelnjak, [email protected]
*5-6 weeks depends on school breaks.
Student teaching placements are made by the Accreditation, Licensure, and Field Experience Office after a teacher candidate applies for student teaching. STEP faculty review the teacher candidates application and decide if the student teacher will student teach abroad or at a distance site.
After a student teaching placement is made, teacher candidates are responsible for setting up a readiness meeting with their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher. This readiness meeting will be led by the faculty supervisor who will explain responsibilities of all involved.
Faculty supervisors will observe and document a student teacher candidate's progress over the course of the semester.
Teacher candidates must complete the edTPA and upload it to be scored.
Teacher candidates must receive a passing grade from both their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher to pass student teaching. There will be a Mid-Point and Final evaluation to be completed by the cooperating teacher and the teacher candidate.