STEP majors have different student teaching requirements depending on content area:
- Physical Education: 8 weeks ELED / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Physical Education /Health: 12 weeks PE ELED or Health MS or HS/5-6* weeks PE ELED or Health MS or HS
- Music: 8 weeks ELED / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Art: 8 weeks ELED / 8 weeks MS or HS
- Spanish or German: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Communication Arts: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Social Studies: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Health: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Math: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Science: 16 weeks MS or HS 1 classroom
- Double major: 12 weeks one content area /5-6 weeks in another content area
- International Student Teaching: 8 Weeks Abroad In Content Area/ 8 Weeks U.S. In Content Area
*5-6 weeks depends on school breaks.
Student teaching placements are made by the Accreditation, Licensure, and Field Experience Office after a teacher candidate applies for student teaching. STEP faculty review the teacher candidates application and decide if the student teacher will student teach abroad or at a distance site.
After a student teaching placement is made, teacher candidates are responsible for setting up a readiness meeting with their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher. This readiness meeting will be led by the faculty supervisor who will explain responsibilities of all involved.
Faculty supervisors will observe and document a student teacher candidate's progress over the course of the semester.
Teacher candidates must complete the edTPA and upload it to be scored.
Teacher candidates must receive a passing grade from both their faculty supervisor and their cooperating teacher to pass student teaching. There will be a Mid-Point and Final evaluation to be completed by the cooperating teacher and the teacher candidate.