Tier 2 License
(license issued starting July 1, 2018 and forward):
|License Requirements||License Valid/Renewal||License Notes|
License Valid: 2 years
Can be renewed indefinately.
*See below for renewal expectations
How to Apply for a Tier 2 License:
- First Time Applicant: Tier 2 Initial License Checklist
- Currently hold a MN License (Substitute, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3): Tier 2 Additional License Checklist
- The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board will have all license applications processed within 30 days of receiving the application materials with UMD recommendation and the returned background check results from the background check agency.
- PELSB will no longer be processing license expedites with districts.
- Processing estimation time by graduation term:
- Fall Graduates: Degrees are awarded January-February + PELSB BCA background check processing 1-2 weeks + PELSB 30 day processing window.
- Spring Graduates: Degrees are awarded May-June + PELSB BCA background check processing 1-2 weeks + PELSB 30 day processing window.
- You cannot assume accept the role of teacher of record until your license has been awarded by PELSB.
- Tier 2 License Renewal Requirements Fact Sheet
- Learn more online at: PELSB Renewal Website
- When you pass your MTLE Content & Pedagogy Exams renew your license to a Tier 3 license. This can be done by going online to: PELSB Renewal Website