Clinical Services | Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
You are here
Robert F. Pierce Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic
156 Chester Park
31 West College Street
Duluth, MN 55812
All clinical programs are offered at no cost in order to serve the community and to provide clinical education to student in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Individuals interested in supporting the clinic through gifting may do so through the UMD Office of Development.
The Robert F. Pierce Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic is a professional outpatient clinic that serves community members in need of speech-language-hearing services. The clinic also services as a teaching facility for students entering the field of speech-language pathology. Clients receive services from student interns under the supervision of faculty who are certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association and licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health. We welcome your participation in our programs!
The clinic offers a full range of speech, language, and hearing services, including evaluations, individual treatment, and group therapy. Therapy services are designed to meet the individual needs of the client.
Who Can Benefit From Speech-Language-Hearing Services?
People with communication disorders or differences may benefit from our services. We work with children and adults who experience a variety of communication needs and concerns. These communication difficulties could be the result of a medical condition or could have no known cause.
Communication Delays and Disorders
Individuals of all ages who suspect a speech, language, or hearing problem would benefit from being evaluated by a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. Information on specific communication disorders is available through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Web site (asha.org). Communication delays and disorders include:
- Speech production Impairments: Speech is difficult to understand. For example, the person may mispronounce, leave out, or substitute other sounds in words. Perhaps the person cannot speak.
- Voice impairments: The person's voice is affected. For example, perhaps the person's voice is hoarse or gravelly or strained. Perhaps the person has concerns about volume or pitch.
- Fluency: The person may stutter or have other concerns about fluent speaking
- Language Comprehension or Expression: Language can be affected in many ways. For example, the person may struggle to follow directions or understand what other people say. The person may have difficulty finding words, or putting words into sentences. The person may have difficulty with language-based academic subjects such as reading or writing or typing.
- Hearing: The person may have concerns about his or her ability to hear.
Individuals who have typical communication but would like to make some changes in their speech and/or language skills might elect to use our services. These are not communication disorders. These are differences.
- Accent Modification: Sometimes a person wishes to modify his or her accent in order to improve communication in certain circumstances.
- Voice and Communication Therapy for Transgender and/or Transsexual Clients: Transgender and/or transsexual individuals may want to make changes in voice and communication to reflect their personalities. They can learn to make changes in a way that protects their voice from damage.
Clinic services currently are offered free of charge.
The University of Minnesota Duluth prohibits discrimination in its educational programs or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct including acts of sexual violence such as rape, sexual assault, sexual exploitation and coercion), gender identity and/or expression (including a transgender identity), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Retaliation is also prohibited.
What our Clients Say
"This program is outstanding. Our son has made great strides with his speech. He would not be where he is today without this program. Thank you!"
"We were very impressed with the attention that our son received in your program. Everyone has mentioned the progress that he made."
"I will definitely recommend this clinic to anyone I know who needs speech services."