Post Baccalaureate Program
The Post Baccalaureate Program is intended for students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree and are now interested in seeking a teacher licensure program.
To be qualified for this program a student must fall into one of the below categories:
- Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in a non teaching major seeking initial licensure.
- Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in a teaching major seeking an endorsement or additional license area.
Professional Development Plan Returning Student Policy:
Education Studies graduates will not be eligible for admission into the UMD Post Bachelor’s Teacher License program with an unmet professional development plan.
Request for Evaluation:
Students are required to provide transcripts for their baccalaureate degree(s) and submit a request for evaluation. A formal assessment of previously completed coursework is completed and a post baccalaureate contract is created that informs the student of the requirements for Minnesota Teacher licensure in the desired area of teaching. Upon completion of the requirements identified on the post baccalaureate contract, students are recommended for Minnesota licensure. Post baccalaureate contract students must apply for admission or readmission to UMD and meet all admission requirements for the appropriate teacher licensure program. Review the process in the Request for Evaluation left navigation.
All of the undergraduate and graduate programs at UMD are delivered during the day in a predominately face-to-face format.
Undergraduate Delivery: The below programs are available for undergraduate credit while seeking licensure.
- Chemistry 9-12, General Science 5-8
- Chemistry 9-12
- Communication Arts and Literature 5-8, 9-12
- Earth Science 9-12, General Science 5-8
- Earth Science 9-12
- Health Education 5-12
- Elementary Education K-6 & Special Education: Academic Behavioral Strategist K-12
- Instrumental and Classroom Music K-12
- Life Science 9-12, General Science 5-8
- Life Science 9-12
- Mathematics 5-8, 9-12
- Physical Education K-12
- Physics 9-12, General Science 5-8
- Physics 9-12
- Social Studies 5-8, 9-12 (select concentration):
- Political Science
- Women's Studies
- Special Education: Academic and Behavioral Strategist (ABS) K-12
- Visual Arts K-12
- Vocal and Classroom Music K-12
- World Languages and Cultures French K-12
- World Languages and Cultures German K-12
- World Languages and Cultures Spanish K-12
Graduate Delivery: The below programs are available for graduate credit while seeking licensure. Note: these programs do not link to a master's degree at UMD.
Programs currently not admitting new students
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (For those that already hold an ABS teaching license) [not currently accepting students into this program]
- Early Childhood Special Education Birth-Age 6 [no longer accepting new students after fall 2020, program restructuring.]
- Unified Early Childhood Studies, Birth-Grade 3 and Early Childhood Special Education [no longer accepting new students after fall 2020, program restructuring.]