Why pursue a degree in social work?
Social work is much more than a profession. For those passionate about advocacy and social justice, it’s a way to live your values and make a real difference in people’s lives. Social workers inspire hope and empower others by:
- Helping individuals and families find solutions to life’s challenges.
- Bringing communities together.
- Advancing policy changes that promote human well-being.
There are diverse career possibilities within the field of social work, from providing direct service to administering programs and conducting research.
To find out more about the social work profession visit the National Association of Social Workers website.
- Social Workers are Super Heroes - TED Talk - Learn about the many ways social workers serve their communities
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Occupational Outlook for Social Workers - What does the job market look like for social workers?
- The New Social Worker – Social Work Careers Magazine - Quarterly magazine with practical articles about social work students, ethics, field placement, practice issues, practice specialties, technology, and more.
- Social Work Today - A resource for social work professionals with in-depth content examining the difficult issues, challenges, and successes of social workers.
- Social Work Career Center - National job listings and professional development resources.
- Social Work Job Bank - Online job board and career center devoted to helping professional social workers and employers find the perfect match.
Social Work Day at the Capitol
At this annual trip to Minnesota’s Capitol, you’ll have an opportunity to take action and lobby legislators about the issues you’re passionate about.