Expand all

Do you offer online, evening, or weekend classes?

At this time, we are a full-time, face-to-face program with our classes scheduled during traditional University time slots. 

Is your program APA-accredited?

No, as APA provides accreditation for doctoral programs only. UMD’s NorthCentral accreditation makes Clinical/Counseling students eligible to work toward MN Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) license.

Can I take a few courses without enrolling in the program?

Although we do not offer part-time enrollment, students seeking continued education credits or students wishing to take a few courses might seek program permissions to register for MAPS courses through the non-degree seeking student status. This status allows students to take up to 10 course credits total. This possibility is most appropriate for most 5000 level courses, though 8000 level courses may be considered in some cases. Clinical counseling assessment, practicum, and internship courses are not available for non-degree seeking students. Prerequisite courses and other considerations are reviewed prior to application for non-degree seeking status. If you are interested in this option, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies for more information.

Students might consider enrolling in one of our I/O 5000 level grad courses as a non-degree seeking student first. After enrolling as a non-degree seeking student, you'd have to reach out to the instructors for a permission number to register. 

Is the GRE required?

No. For Fall 2024 admissions the GRE is not required.

Is the GRE Psychology subject test required?

No. We currently do not require the Psychology subject test.

Can I apply to multiple tracks (e.g., Clinical Counseling and Experimental Psychology)?

Yes. Simply complete the application for one of the tracks and state in your personal statement which additional track you would like to simultaneously apply for and contact the Graduate Program Coordinator to ensure faculty from both tracks have access to your materials.

Can I apply to the Psychology Masters Program at UMD and have my application also considered for a Twin Cities psychology or counseling program, or vice versa?

No. Although UMD is part of the UMN system, the application process is separate for each program and there is no mechanism for programs to transfer applicant materials to another program. Applicants who wish to apply to more than one program within the UMN system need to complete a separate application for each program.

Are Clinical Counseling Psychology graduates eligible for Licensure following graduation?

MAPS Clinical Counseling graduates are eligible to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Minnesota through the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy.

The curriculum of this program is designed to also meet licensure requirements for the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) title in the state of Minnesota. This professional license allows graduates to provide diagnostic assessments and psychotherapy/counseling services at the Master's level. Upon graduation from our program, Clinical Counseling graduates have all of the required coursework and practicum requirements met for this licensure. However, an additional 4,000 hours supervised experience and 10 course credits would be required post-graduate by the MN board to be qualified as LPCC. Graduates who wish to pursue this licensure make their own post-graduation arrangements for these requirements.

Licensure requirements and reciprocity vary from state-to-state, so we strongly recommend that you check with the licensing board within the state you are interested in practicing regarding the specific details.

Where do I find your program in the Graduate Application System (also known as Slate) so I send my materials to the correct program?

Our program is listed in the system as:

  • Psychological Science - Clinical Counseling - Duluth MA
  • Psychological Science - Experimental - Duluth MA
  • Psychological Science - Industrial Organizational - Duluth MA

Do you accept transfer credits from other graduate programs?

Following review and approval, a maximum of 9 graduate-level credits may be transferred from another institution. Once accepted, an official transcript and syllabi for all courses being considered for transfer will be required. Some clinical counseling courses (e.g., applied clinical skills courses, such as assessment and therapy sequences or practicum) are not accepted for transfer.

Is on-campus housing available for graduate students?

No. Once admitted, each graduate student is paired with a 2nd year student to serve as a peer mentor. Peer mentors offer guidance for your transition, including potential housing options.

What is the cost of attending your program?

Please see our tuition page.

I am an international student or completed my bachelor's degree in a country outside of the U.S., and have a world evaluation service (WES) report that indicates my degree is equivalent to a bachelor's degree in the U.S. Am I eligible for your program?

Please see the International Applicant section of our application instructions.

Can I start the program in spring rather than fall?

No. We only admit students to begin in the fall due to course sequencing.