Preceptors and Clinical Education
The UMD Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is grateful for the ongoing support of the many ASHA-certified speech-language pathologists who serve as preceptors to our graduate students.
The Internship Preceptor's Handbook provides information to support off-campus internships.
Qualifications to Supervise Interns
To be a preceptor, 2020 ASHA certification standards require that the professional providing supervision must meet the following criteria:
- The SLP must hold a current certificate of clinical competence from ASHA. The SLP must have at least 9 months of practice experience after obtaining the CCC prior to supervising their first intern.
- The SLP must hold any state credentials required for the setting in which they practice.
- The SLP must have completed a minimum of 2 hours of continuing education in supervision.
Free Continuing Education in Supervision!
As a member of the Council of Accredited Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD), the CSD Department is pleased to offer access to CAPCSD courses on clinical supervision.
For further information, contact Ashley Weber, Director of Off-Campus Externships, [email protected]
One-Time Only: Report your Completed Continuing Education in Supervision
One-Time Reporting to ASHA:
ASHA asks us to self-report completion of two hours of continuing education in supervision by going to the ASHA website.
- Go to asha.org and log in to My Account.
- Under "Certification and Maintenance", click on the link to 2020 Requirements for Clinical Instructors, Supervisors, and Clinical Fellow Mentors.
- You will be brought to a page where you can click verification of completing the two hours of supervision CE. Once you click this, your verification of Supervision CE will show up along with your CCC on the ASHA credentials look-up page.
On-Time Reporting to UMD CSD:
The CSD Department is responsible for verifying that preceptors have completed the CE in supervision. To meet the 2020 CFCC standard, preceptors will be asked to email a copy of the CE certificate that shows they have completed at least two hours of CE in supervision prior to supervising students from the program.
Additional Supervision Resources from ASHA
ASHA also provides a number of resources on clinical supervision.