The College of Education and Human Service Professions has instituted a “total intake model” of advising undergraduate students.  All freshman and transfer students will be assigned two advisors: an Advising and Academic Services (AAS) advisor in Bohannon 120, and a Communication Sciences and Disorders academic advisor in Chester Park 174.  After one year, the Advising and Academic Services advisor will be removed and students will continue to meet with their CSD academic advisor.  Mandatory advising with a CSD advisor is in effect for all students with fewer than 60 credits.   Mandatory advising with a CSD advisor is also in effect for students whose GPAs fall below 3.0.

Certification and Licensure

In order to work in the state of Minnesota, Speech-language pathologists must hold a Master’s degree, a certificate of clinical competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and license from either the Minnesota Department of Health or the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB).  Audiologists must hold a Doctoral degree, a certificate of clinical competency from ASHA or board certification from the American Board of Audiology, and a license from the Minnesota Department of Health. 

Students interested in professional certification and licensure in speech-language pathology or audiology should consult with the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. They also should refer to the Graduate School section for a description of the master of arts program in communication disorders.