Overview of Minor and Certificate
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor is designed to prepare students to work with children and adults who are learning English as an additional language in the United States. The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Certificate is primarily designed for undergraduate students and community members who are interested in teaching English while living abroad. Courses in both programs cover topics such as second language acquisition, teaching methods, assessment of language development, linguistics, and the relationship between culture and language. These new programs are the only of their kind offered in the Northland, and what makes them even more unique is the field experience where students can get first-hand experience working with non-native speakers of English and multilingual students.
Both the minor and the certificate program begin with the same sequence of courses: Introduction to Linguistics (LING 1811) followed by Bilingualism & Biliteracy Development: Foundations of Second Language Acquisition (EDUC 3100). After completing the Bilingualism & Biliteracy Development course, students should declare the minor or apply for admission to the certificate program. They do not need to be enrolled in the minor or certificate to take courses within the programs but should be aware of any prerequisites.
TESOL & Multilingual Education Minor
Requirements: total 21 Credits
For more information on courses course prerequisites, see the University Catalog. Students pursuing the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate are eligible for the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor.
Requirements: total 12 Credits
For more information on courses and course prerequisites, see the University Catalog. Students pursuing the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor are eligible for the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate program.
Certificate Application and Admission
- Apply for admission any semester.
- Complete the application for admission form before completing the required coursework.
- No application fee is required for registered UMD students.
For admission or application questions, contact One Stop at [email protected] or 218-726-8000.
- This form is submitted when a student enrolls in the last course of the certificate requirements and is required.
- Certificate will appear on your transcript.
- For more information on certificate completion, please see One Stop.
Tuition and Fees
- This certificate is not eligible for financial aid.
- Visit One Stop for tuition and fee information.
For more information on Certificate Programs please see One Stop.
Want to know more?
- Why Minor in TESOL & Multilingual Education?
- Related Majors to the TESOL & Multilingual Education Minor
- What Can You Do with a TEFL Certificate?
- TESOL & Multilingual Education Minor Catalog and Sample Plan
- TEFL Certificate Catalog and Sample Plan
- Course Descriptions
- Program Outcomes