Overview of Certificate and Minor
The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Certificate (12 credits) is primarily designed for undergraduate students and community members who are interested in teaching English while living abroad or working with multilinguals domestically. The TEFL Certificate is an abbreviated sequence of coursework introducing students to the field of teaching k-12 and adult multilingual learners.
For students looking for more robust coursework in the field of multilingual education, they may consider completing the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor. The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor (21 credits) is designed to prepare students to work with children and adults who are learning English as an additional language in the United States and abroad. Through elective credits, students explore the topics of Linguistics, language, and identity with an emphasis on classroom implications.
Courses in both programs cover topics such as second language acquisition, teaching methods, assessment of language development, linguistics, and the relationship between culture and language. These new programs are the only of their kind offered in the Northland, and what makes them even more unique is the field experience where students can get first-hand experience working with non-native speakers of English and multilingual students.
The TESOL minor requires Introduction to Linguistics (Ling 1811) as a prerequisite for admission. The TEFL Certificate has no prerequisites, however, one must have 30 semester credits before admission to the program. Students completing the TESOL minor will also complete the same 12 credits in the TEFL Certificate program making them eligible to receive the TEFL Certificate as well!
It is advised to begin both programs with Bilingualism & Biliteracy Development: Foundations of Second Language Acquisition (EDUC 3100). After completing the Bilingualism & Biliteracy Development course, students should declare the minor or apply for admission to the certificate program.
Requirements: total 12 Credits
Certificate Application and Admission
- Apply for admission any semester.
- Complete the application for admission form before completing the required coursework.
- No application fee is required for registered UMD students.
For admission or application questions, contact One Stop at [email protected] or 218-726-8000.
Completing your certificate program
You must apply to graduate before the deadline for each term.
- Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
- Select the Degree Progress sub-tab.
- Click the Apply to Graduate link at the bottom of the page.
- Select the Apply for Graduation link. Complete this step for each degree program if you have more than one.
- Choose your Expected Graduation Term from the drop-down menu.
- Read the graduation instructions, and then click Continue.
- Verify the information is correct, and then click Submit Application.
- View the confirmation screen.
- Go to the My Info tab in MyU and check that your name and address are correct for your diploma. Your primary name and home address will be used unless you enter a different degree name and diploma address.
Tuition and Fees
- This certificate is not eligible for financial aid.
- Visit One Stop for tuition and fee information.
For more information on Certificate Programs please see One Stop.
TESOL & Multilingual Education Minor
Requirements: total 21 Credits
For more information on courses or course prerequisites, see the University Catalog. Students pursuing the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Multilingual Education minor are eligible for the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate.
Want to know more?
- Why Minor in TESOL & Multilingual Education?
- Related Majors to the TESOL & Multilingual Education Minor
- What Can You Do with a TEFL Certificate?
- TESOL & Multilingual Education Sample Plan
- TEFL Certificate Sample Plan
- Course Descriptions
- Program Outcomes