The Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program is committed to preparing 21st century physical education teachers who are highly trained in accordance with national standards set forth by the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE). The PETE program is a blend of activity skills, foundational sciences, and methodologies applied to the teaching of physical education in the public schools.
PETE Program Goals
- Provide prospective physical education teachers with the knowledge, skills and professional dispositions to be successful deliverers of standards based physical education.
- To challenge students to grow to be knowledgeable, skillful and effective teachers, ready to assume and be successful in a teaching position in a global educational market.
- Highly trained in accordance with national standards set forth by the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE website).
- Methodologies applied to the teaching of physical education in the public schools.
- Up to date course offerings, including
- Lifetime and outdoor activities in physical education experiences
- Working with special populations in adapted physical education
- Methods classes that meet and practice in the public schools
- PETE foundations and history
- Foundational and team sport activities
- Dance and rhythmic activities
- Preparing for and implementing teaching a college course with supervision prior to student teaching
- Teacher candidates in PETE participate extensively in early field experiences (EFEs).
- EFEs are a process wherein pre-service teachers work in the pre-K-12 setting with children, host public school students for classes at UMD, and receive supervision from qualified, professional cooperating teachers from the public schools while being supported by a university supervisor.
- Our intent as a faculty is to challenge students to grow to be knowledgeable, skillful and effective teachers, ready to assume and be successful in a teaching position in a global educational market.
- Meets the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) standards for Physical Education in grades K-12 in Minnesota.
What students say about the program
“I chose this program because I heard it’s a really good program. My favorite part about this program is how much practice we get. What makes it unique is the video recording so you can go back and see yourself.”
“I chose the program because UMD was my favorite college I visited and that is what I wanted to do. What I like and think is unique is that you get to see what it is to teach your very first semester.”
“I chose to be in the Phy. Ed program because physical activity is something I hold close to me. I love to be active and I also love to be able to teach kids and make a difference in their lives. Something that is unique about the Phy Ed program is how we are exposed to teaching so early.”
“I love coming to class every day, and I mean it. It’s so fun to come and play games and be able to teach and be involved in the lessons.”