Secondary and K-12 Education Majors
- The Secondary Teacher Preparation Program (STEP) at UMD offers teacher candidates opportunities to develop critical curriculum knowledge and pedagogical skills to meet the needs of diverse learners in the 21st century. STEP offers baccalaureate degrees with majors in secondary and K-12 education, preparing candidates for licensure to teach in 5-12 and K-12 school settings.
- Grade 5 through Grade 12 licensure in Communication Arts/Literature, Health, Math, Sciences and Social Studies.
- Kindergarten through Grade 12 licensure in Art, Music, Physical Education, and World Languages (French, German and Spanish).
- For official program requirements, go to the University Catalog
Program Requirements for
- Teaching Communication Arts & Literature
- Teaching Earth & Space Science
- Teaching French
- Teaching German
- Teaching Life Science
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Physical Science (Chemistry or Physics)
- Teaching Social Studies
- Teaching Spanish
The Education Department collaborates with the School of Fine Arts in preparing candidates in Music Education and Art Education.
The Education Department collaborates with the Applied Human Sciences Department in preparing candidates in Physical Education and Public Health Education & Promotion-School.
Major Contact Information
Dr. Christopher W Johnson