Secondary and K-12 Education Majors
- The Secondary Teacher Preparation Program (STEP) at UMD offers teacher candidates opportunities to develop critical curriculum knowledge and pedagogical skills to meet the needs of diverse learners in the 21st century. STEP offers baccalaureate degrees with majors in secondary and K-12 education, preparing candidates for licensure to teach in 5-12 and K-12 school settings.
- Grade 5-12 licensure in Communication Arts/Literature, Health, Math, Sciences and Social Studies.
- K-12 licensure in Art, Music, Physical Education, and World Languages (French, German and Spanish).
- For official program requirements, go to the University Catalog
Program Requirements for
- Teaching Communication Arts & Literature
- Teaching Earth & Space Science
- Teaching French
- Teaching German
- Teaching Life Science
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Physical Science (Chemistry or Physics)
- Teaching Social Studies
- Teaching Spanish
The Education Department collaborates with the Art and Design Department and the Music Department in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences in preparing candidates for Art Education and Music Education.
The Education Department collaborates with the Applied Human Sciences Department in preparing candidates for Physical Education and Public Health Education & Promotion-School.
Major Contact Information
Dr. Christopher W Johnson