Teacher candidates need to have a completed background check BEFORE they can be placed in schools. As of Fall 2020, UMD requires a background check with HireRight. This verification is designed to meet State school district guidelines governing adults with responsibility for children. UMD students who are assigned to a field placement must have a background check completed and on file with the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
Note: Many schools have additional district background checks, confidentiality agreements, Mantoux test and/or drug test requirements. Some schools want a copy of your UMD background check which only you can provide. Teacher candidates need to complete any additional requirements BEFORE going into schools.
Background Check FAQ's
1. How do I complete the HireRight background check?
- You will be sent an email from HireRight Customer Support. Check spam folders.
- You will be asked to create a user ID in order to enter the HireRight system. The user ID is your UMD email address.
- The form will read as though it is employment related even though it is for school placement.
- Complete the form and send it back WITHIN 7 DAYS! You will be sent a reminder from HireRight on the 3rd day.
2. How long do UMD background checks last?
The UMD background check lasts 3 years. You will be notified by the Accreditation, Licensure, and Field Experience office via email if you need to complete another background check.
3. Can I use a background check from somewhere else?
No, they need to be done by UMD through HireRight only.
4. How do I get a copy of the UMD background check?
Make sure you click "Receive a paper copy" when filling out the report. You will receive a report from HireRight via US mail at your home address. Save this report for future placements. The UMD Field Experiences Office notifies school districts about the completion of the background check but cannot provide you with a copy.
5. What if I lose my copy of the HireRight background check?
If your background check was completed prior to Fall 2020, through GIS, and you need to obtain a copy, contact GIS at 866-265-4917
If your background check was completed after Fall 2020 through HireRight, contact HireRight at 888-990-4473 or [email protected].
UMD Office of Field Experiences does not have a copy of your background check.
6. Is there a cost?
Each background check costs $44. It is billed to your student account.
You Must Have Liability Insurance Prior To Attending Your Field Experience.
You will provide a copy of your receipt from purchasing Education Minnesota Liability Insurance through your membership as an Aspiring Educator in Education Minnesota. This insurance is only good until August in the year of purchase. This means that if you purchased Fall or Spring, you will need to purchase it again for the following Fall.