Psychology Major - Online | Department of Psychology
You are here
Interested in taking your Associate of Arts Degree or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum to the next level? The Online Psychology major is designed for students with an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, students who have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MTC). Click HERE to apply!
Application deadline for the Psychology Online program is June 15th.
The Online Psychology major admits students every FALL semester. This program is capped at 15 new students per year.
To qualify for admission, students must have the following:
- Applied by June 15th and are admitted for Fall Semesters only
- Completed Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
- An overall cumulative GPA of 2.5
- College Algebra completed or Math ACT score of 21 or higher
- Met all UMD undergraduate admission criteria including high school preparation requirements* of 2 years of a single second language & 3 years of mathematics (includes algebra and intermediate algebra) For a list of high school requirements, please visit: http://www.d.umn.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/apply/first-year-students/requirements
- Equivalent of UMD’s General Psychology
- It is recommended, but not required, to have college level biology course with lab component
Contact Marti Fasteland, Admissions Transfer Coordinator (218-726-8615) to confirm whether a specific course at your community college will fulfill high school preparation requirements.
Along with the core requirements and electives, students are encouraged to select at least one personal experience that fosters engagement with psychology. This can include:
- Active membership in Psi Chi & Psychology Club
- Becoming a research and/or teaching assistant in cooperation with a psychology faculty member
- Applying for a UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunity Project)
- Conducting research or a project through guided independent study (Psy 3994, 3995, 3998, 3999
Honors in Psychology: (Effective Fall 2015)
Students with a Psychology Major GPA of 3.80 or higher AND who have a minimum overall UMD GPA of 3.00 can graduate with Honors in Psychology if they complete one of the following:
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Project (UROP). Application deadlines are in October and February
- Honors Project in Psychology (Psy 3986)
- Complete a 5xxx level Psychology course with a grade of B or better
To receive departmental honors students must formally apply for them before a deadline during the term before they graduate. Students eligible for honors are urged to consult with their advisors or a psychology department faculty member on how they wish to pursue departmental honors before the end of their junior year.